Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Press releases and contacts with the press: but they all do so? – Corriere della Sera

Dear Severgnini,

I know that these days there are more important issues to be discussed, but I wanted to ask for an explanation, a denial, a comment about something I was told right now .

Having a client to prepare press releases, I asked a dear friend who has worked as a press office, how best to bring the attention of some newspapers the novelty of this innovative small-medium enterprises, technological and in my opinion very interesting.

He told me to buy the agenda of the journalist, send the notified via email and then call. So far, having to pay to have a way to contact a news aside, everything normal. But then: “In general, in magazines you pay, but you contracted. Like … I give you the money, I publish advertising and then I do a couple of articles and two honorable mentions. “

Ok. This would be an agreement “advertorial”, which should also be reported as such in the article. But it is not what we seek. I would like to send to the press and then, if it is of interest, they are free or not to write an article on the subject.

No, he replies, amused. E ‘practice. Here are demanding that purchasing advertising space, a banner etc to give yourself space.

And the ethics? And the credibility?

I understand that advertising is necessary to prop up an editorial office. But to my knowledge, rejected a priori press, or picking the mention in an article, news or maybe ignoring the most interesting developments because unpaid goes against the purpose of journalism.

I’m putting in serious doubt each item and mention of a company or person I have ever read in the Italian press.

Tell me it is not so!

The serious newspapers do not do those things, Melanie. But not all the newspapers (and journalists) are serious.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment