Thursday, August 20, 2015

Caparezza: “Streaming half a revolution will die soon and … – L’Espresso

 Palermi-Weby-jpg
What do you think of the boom of the stream? And to what extent these changes affect your work?

 “To understand we need to step back forty years. I was born in 1973, so much of my life took place when these practices and the same digital music did not exist. Like any “native analog”, I cultivated my passion buying vinyl and cassettes and in my lifetime I have seen tick various cemeteries: that of the cassette; that of the mini-disc, which was thought to be the definitive revolution; that of CDs, media created, think ‘to bring down piracy. Then came the mp3, but apparently also for this format already feel intone the funeral march. Now streaming is the latest, but I am sure that this will be short lived to be replaced in the future from some other new technology. “

Exactly, but a young boy growing up in time dear frying pan vinyl, this millionaire war being fought on the web to control the music is not scary?

 “No, no! I am a person rather curious: I have subscribed to Spotify, I pay my € 9.99 a month to listen to streaming, without commercial breaks, the songs I want. I am one who legally download dozens of songs on iTunes, which I find very comfortable, but I continue to attend trade fairs and shops vinyl and buy all the records that I like. This is to say that my time does not scare me. Certainly there have been media that from economic point of view have guaranteed the artist more than others. And I think that with the stream there is still this guarantee. The situation is still very smoky. For example, it is not clear how the various platforms gestiscano listen and related charts. I would not surprise me if they found out organizations that buy the ratings manipulating the hit parade. Moreover every reform corresponds to a counter-reform, it always has been. “

Another failed revolution?

 “Not exactly. I went crazy when I found Spotify, I realized that would give everyone the chance to hear a lot of music of all kinds priced all in all content. Also, do not forget that streaming is the legal alternative to piracy and the spread of fraudulent downloads. But …. “

What does not convince?

 “In the end, much of Spotify, because in Panorama or on iTunes, the top positions are the winners of X Factor or artists who are still often on TV: it means that we are talking about a revolution relative. The real revolution in the 80′s when there was the Bangles sang “Video Killed the Radio Stars”, it was understood then that something was going to “other.” Now I wonder: Internet killed the video star? I think not! If anything, the opposite is happening. “

For now, however, Taylor Swift was the only one to oppose the conditions imposed on the stream by a giant like Apple Music. According to the American pop star, music is art and should not be free, or rather should be artists and producers to determine the price of their records.

 “Yeah, but who determines the value of music? Just take a look on eBay to see that everything is very subjective. For example, that I am a collector of television themes I’d pay not know what for the jingle of a cartoon of the Kazakh TV. The value of a thing depends on who gives it to him. If you were to use other parameters, for example, the aesthetic value, complexity, commitment, how much should cost a disc of Beethoven? “

Among the new examples of shared economy, the network is going strong crowdfunding. Many artists, not only the new generation, have used this platform to finance their recording projects. For example Gianni Maroccolo, bassist of Litfiba and CSI, through Music Riser has collected more than 80 thousand euro which has completed several projects .

 “I hope that it works, but I confess that the term” sharing economy “gives me the chills on the skin.”

The mistake that many people make, says the economic expert network Giorgos Kallis , is called “sharing economy” a whole series of activities which apparently have shared as common trait: in most cases, these “rental economy”, an economy based on the rental of goods and services through technology platforms and business generating profits thanks to interactions “peer to peer”.

 “Of course, rent is not to share! However, long ago, I participated in the crowdfunding for a young artist from Puglia, Antonello Papa, who in my opinion deserved to have an opportunity. “

Did it work?

 “Rather good looks … For a novice, though talented, is never easy. They can also collect large sums, but then we should educate the public to support certain projects even later. Maybe buying disks and going to concerts. Assiduously attending the concerts, including those of emerging bands. I have noticed that most of the young artists to allow downloading free their CDs from your site. Only in this way, they say, you can determine how many people actually follows you. Even bands like Radiohead and U2 have beaten this way. And it is certainly not of people who need to be known. When the concerts were used to sell records, now the discs have become like gadgets, you give the network hoping that the audience then is to hear live. “

The point looks like this . Eventually even rock stars are the concerts that provide real gains. Given the times we live in, this could be considered the highest form of support and solidarity from the public to the artist.

 “Do not just click” like “or” share “on the Facebook page; at concerts you have to go to participate in a collective ritual that has nothing virtual, thankfully! I was feeling the AC / DC in Imola: there were more than a hundred thousand orphans of rock of all ages. It was exciting. Remember when Angus Young, Brian Johnson and others have begun, internet and social networks did not exist. They are giants born at a time when you had to just play and go on stage to show how much you were worth. It is possible that today the road is still that. Venture a prediction: soon die also streaming in favor of something else and it will be something primordial, it will start again from the word go. ”

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment