Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Martina Caironi, the Italian flagship in Rio – Radio Popolare

Just a few days at the XVa edition of the Paralympic Games in 2016 : will be held in Rio de Janeiro September 7 to 18. Martina Caironi , 26 years old and already a gold medal in the 100 meters at London 2012, will be the Italian flag bearer at the opening ceremony. “I’m a listener of Radio Popolare, I also your sticker on the machine. I’ll take you with me in Rio, “he says before answering any questions.

You are about to board the plane to Rio. How do you feel?

“I feel the tension, definitely more than four years ago when I left, still a little ‘girl, for my first Olympics. Now I know what I’m going to do, I know what people expect from me, but I’m still trying to deal with a little ‘lightheartedness, for the fun. “

Feel the pressure of the favorite?

“Yes, because all I remember him … It ‘s true, I start as favorites in the 100 meters, not in the long jump. I know I have, and I want to, do well. “

Being bearer is cause for satisfaction more or extra responsibility?

” Certainly It gave me a bit ‘of notoriety in more in recent months. The fact that they chose me is above all a great honor. Then, in a few days, I will tell you what the emotion of the moment. For now I only have an idea. “

You’ve heard some of your colleagues who have already competed at the Olympics in Rio to know what awaits you?

“Yesterday I met here in Bergamo Marta Milani, who has not competed but it was in Rio as a reserve for the relay, and told me a bit ‘of the Olympic village. Then, looking at the twitter account of the various athletes I got an idea, but I would get there without too many expectations or with preset ideas. Let’s see how it will be. “

Who will be your main rivals?

” I am always the same, unless of surprises. The most feared is the German Vanessa Low, favored in the long jump. In the 100 meters is the one that is closest to me. “

How did you start with athletics?

” It all goes back to several years ago. After my accident, I was walking through the corridors of the prosthesis center and saw the photographs of athletes in the act of the long jump and the race and I was intrigued. I asked myself to do so, I was given a prosthetic fitting. I found out right away that you have a hidden talent, because from the first race in 2010 made the Italian record. Then, growing up, I started to do international competitions, and the rest came by itself, with hard work of course, because especially in recent years training has intensified. Even my body has changed, it is now much more athletic, stronger. “

So you started more than anything to get busy after the blow of the accident …

“It ‘playing more as a curiosity – I’m a very curious person – and when I find something interesting I try to grab it. And then I wanted to race again, because maybe you do not realize that, with two legs, if you want to make a corsettina make it. I realized that I could no longer do so. And I went from one extreme to another: from not being able to run to run as fast as possible in a stadium at

How do you choose a prosthesis to compete at this level?

“There are specialized centers. The prostheses are also very expensive, fortunately I did not have to pay thanks to a project of the Paralympic Committee that allows me to choose the best on the market. Depending on the weight, you choose a lamina of a certain rigidity and, depending on the athlete’s I or of the specialty needs: for example I a lamina of a certain type for racing – a plate, with the same power of my leg not to ‘phase shift’ the race – and a more flexible for the long jump, to be more responsive and push up. “

There is a technological divide between various countries competing in the Paralympics that will make a difference in the results?

“Yes, there are countries where the new technology of implants come first. For example, in London in 2012 I ran with a mechanical knee while some of my opponents were running already with a knee that is the one I use now, which is very ‘free’ and easier to use. In any case, the rules of the International Paralympic Committee provide that each type of prosthesis to be accessible to each athlete. Then much it depends on the ability and the technical expertise of the various countries.

<'p> I guess the race prosthesis is not the same that you use in the life of every day …

“No, it is totally different. The one I use for walking has an electronic knee that also allows me to do the stairs, to go dancing, biking, in water. I pretty much I change the prostheses like you will change your shoes. Depending on the activity I change my leg. “

What’s missing in your opinion in Italy to ensure that sport, as in your case, can be the way to overcome their limitations?

“First of all it would take a total abatement of mental barriers, cultural. They would need more investment and more opportunities for promotion of sports for disabled athletes. I hope these Paralympics are followed, because you really can open up a world. And then it would be fair to reach parity between the Olympics and Paralympics, because we find it hard as them and us we would need some attention. “

When your races are planned? So we point the alarm clock …

“The opening ceremony is on September 7th. Then my race will be the 10th, in Italy it will be broadcast around the 23. The semi-finals on 17 to 19 Italian time. And the final at midnight (Italian time) on 18. “

Listen here to the interview with Martina Caironi

martina Caironi Paralympics

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment