Sunday, July 19, 2015

Scalpel, reflexes and courage so we save people’s lives “| The Morning – The Morning

Cristiano Huscher, the “surgeon of desperate cases,” four specializations, thousands of speeches and many lives saved in Italy and abroad, to the provocation of a reporter recently asked him who he wanted to find in operating room if he had gone under the knife, responded sharply, “Franco Corcione and Gianluigi Melotti, surgeons at Naples Monaldi and Sant’Agostino Estense in Modena.” Huscher, indeed Professor Cristiano German Sigmund Huscher, is a character traits peculiar to his professional fights and, therefore, also rather discussed, but the fact remains that it is universally considered to be the magician of the scalpel in the scientific community his judgment weighs, and how if it weighs. Apart Gianluigi Melotti (which is the European leader in its field, but works in Modena), we are talking of Professor Franco Corcione, Neapolitan doc, director of the division of general surgery of Monaldi and undisputed pioneer of the most innovative laparoscopic techniques. Class ’52, bushy mustache on a face perfectly shaved in response to a beard increasingly inflated, the president of the Italian Society of Surgery smiles, puts on board the compliments, thank the respected colleague but does not give in to the lure.

Nice compliment, though.

 Of Course. Said by him, the most beautiful hand in the world, can only please me. But the accolades that gratify me more are the other “.

What?

 “Those who on my operating table there really ends.”

Patients?

 “Of course.”

What is your relationship with them?

 “Great. Although I must admit that in recent times is generally much changed. “

What do you mean?

 “In the worst sense.”

Why?

 “Consents informed, disputes, litigation … Just anything to end up in court.”

Too many complaints?

 “Even when there would be no reason. From there a surgery that is becoming more defensive, only at the expense of patients who ultimately are the ones who are paying the costs. ‘

Are you saying that for fear of ending up in court physicians not doing what they should?

 “I’m not saying that. The reality is different. “

What is it?

 “It is one that if a surgeon has to risk personally to save desperate situations is not always available to do so. And that, to me, is the end of the evolution of surgery and doctor-patient relationship. “

Explain better.

 “I do it with an example: if there is a sick person to be subjected to an intervention particularly complex, high-risk and uncertain outcome, let’s see how many surgeons we put their hands.”

How many?

 Hardly any. And screeners to give wrong. Walk ten hours in the operating room, you do everything you can to get the best result and eventually risks as well the cause, often for something that does not depend on either of you. So ends that many say, “but who am I doing this? ‘”.

Better not work, then?

 “Do not ask me.”

Why?

 “I rise every time. I could not help it: I have a patient that I can try to save your life and I do not to risk? Impossible, because I did well. “

Fearless.

 “I often say that the surgeon, the real one, is a strange animal. He has an innate sense of duty to others, always feels the need to give them something, at all costs. “

Almost a missionary, in fact.

 “No. But surely a man who lives with great responsibilities, human and material, in respect of which you can never pull back. “

Who’s the good surgeon?

 “What in moments of seconds is able to make a decision on which will depend on the life or death of a person.”

Moments of seconds?

 Just like that. If while you are operating a vein is torn important you have no alternative: either you choose what to do in real time or the patient leaves. “

Lucidity and coldness, then.
 “But even rationality and intuition. In many cases there is no second chance. The choice you make must be the right one, the error is not expected. The good surgeon has only one goal. “

What?

 “Finishing the surgical procedure in the best way and as quickly as possible.”

A matter of practice?

 It is not enough. To make a difference is always that something extra that goes beyond books and over the practice. The example I like best is that of the players. “

Say.

 “They train in the same way but not for this field are all equal. The superstar is one, and it’s not just a matter of legs. Talent is innate: either there or not. “

You have talent?

 “It is not for me to say.”

Professor Huscher told.

 “Over the years, I must admit, I had many awards. By patients of course, but also colleagues. I belong dell’Ircad Strasbourg, one of the largest research centers in the surgical world, even there, do not hide it, I took off a lot of satisfaction. But my pride are young people. “

Young?

 “Yes, those who want to make surgeons and ask me to come to specialize by Monaldi. They come from all parts of the world: Spain, England, Argentina, Brazil, Vietnam …. “

A teacher, in fact.

 “You never stop learning, I want to say, but I assure you that everything I do I try to teach it to people who want to do this job. Mine is a very strong team, ask Diego Cuccurullo and Felice Pirozzi, two former students who still follow me for years. “

Students in the foreground, then.
>
 “It is my commitment to the future. They did it with me, I do it for others. ” Who did it to her? “I had two great teachers: Joseph Califano and Jean Rives, the first, the Federico II, taught me to have courage, the second, at the University of Reims, to be lucid and rational. They owe much of who I am. “

Only to them?

 “Maybe not.”

Who else?

 “A Maria Rosaria, my wife.”

What about his wife?

 “If it were not for her next to me I could not get here. We always shared everything, good and bad moments, he pulled out two children in the best way with the knowledge and the sacrifices of those who know how to have married a surgeon. “

The surgeon is not a good husband?

 “Of course it is. When there is. Ours is an all-encompassing job that is difficult to reconcile with the so-called normal life. My wife not only got it right away, but he always did everything to make my life easier. “

How?

 “Dealing with the family, taking care of our two sons, Carlo and Annalisa.”

A future as a surgeon for them?

 “Not at all. The first is a lawyer, lives and works in London, the second is a pharmacist. No, no surgery, the boys have taken other roads, but that’s okay. They are talented and passionate about their work. “

It has never operated a family member, friend …

 “That’s my wife.”

Beautiful coldness.

 “I must admit that a moment’s hesitation I had it.”

When?

 “Before anesthesia. But the moment when you are asleep, and we covered with cloth, every emotion is gone: he became a patient like others. “

Tell the truth: it took more attention.

 “No, I assure you. I made exactly like everyone else. “

Skill aside, it is true that his department is one of the most advanced in terms of technology?

 “We were the first to practice robotic surgery laparoscopically. We understand techniques and equipment, the companies will provide the latest news to make them known around. “

We use it to get publicity?

 Yup. And we do it to him very happy when in return we offer the best of modern technology. “

Is it true that the robot does it all?

 “Of course, we press a button and then we go to have coffee … we must be joking, but the tools are essential to move them there’s always the surgeon’s hand, firm and skillful, and even before a mind that moves the hand. It is true however that laparoscopy has changed the lives of the surgeons and the patients. “

Probably this is the great school of surgery Neapolitan has lost its prestige? Too much modernity than an approach still old?

 “Not so, Naples has always great excellence. Let’s say that there is some difficulty in keeping up with the times. Besides, today is unimaginable to think of doing surgery without robot, the real power is in the technology. “

So you are a man of power?

 “If by power means that the lives of those in need of you, the answer is yes. Otherwise just not. “

Last question: the same which Professor Huscher responded that in the operating room would find her.

 “Who would I work?”.

That’s right.

 “It depends on the disease.”

Then put it this way: there is no time, it’s an emergency. Out a name.

 The truth? I feel great, but why should I think about ‘is the emergency? “.
                 
 
                 


                     Sunday, July 19, 2015, 18:06 – Last Updated: 18:17
© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment