The first contact. When I wore them for the first time, about ten days ago, I thought it was very difficult to concentrate on the small screen that appears above the right eye. After the first few minutes, almost naturally, the eye has become familiar with the micro-display that shows the time and writing a smaller “Okay glass.” The glasses can be managed either by voice commands or with the touchpad side. I uttered the words “Ok glass” and the menu has appeared on these glasses after a few hours of use, they become comfortable, perhaps even down to the bone due to low weight (50 grams). Then the commands in English for now: “Take a picture” and glasses taking a picture with the camera to 5mpx, then just say “share” to share it on Google Plus or on Twitter, the latter one of the few applications that Google want to add.

The first day of the Glass is a test indoors in the commercial center of East Rome Here I visited a few clothing stores. Customers’ eyes were fixed on these glasses that have attracted many questions from curious onlookers. Someone knew them already (“wow, those are the Glass”). In the meantime I was using the Evernote application and through the Glass took note of the items of interest to me: a pair of jeans and a shirt for the winter. Then I went to a bar, it was mid-morning and I received the first email of the day. I was undecided whether to respond with your smartphone or with Glass, but the test was important. I preferred to use the Glass, responding to emails using the voice feature (includes only English for now) and the results were excellent. Then I let go and I hardly noticed: while sipping cappuccino I answered the email without having to focus the eyes on the screen, so in this case the Glass were the most comfortable of the smartphone. Certainly those who remained looked at me puzzled seeing me talking to myself, mug in hand. Finished cappuccino with a friend who accompanied me during the test we went to the Apple Store, passing almost a must. Here one of the employees wanted to try the goggles and he confessed that he would like to buy them. Then they were joined by four colleagues between evidence and comments on Glass.

Leaving Roma Est, lunch time, so we decided to make a switch on the center, King of Rome, next to the central San John. The Glass, by necessity go into energy saving. But when they are on stand-by just raise the head of approximately 30 ° and unlocks showing on the menu “Ok Glass”. Then just say “get directions to King of Rome” and dividing screens appear in the map accompanied by voice commands. While driving in the car, the Glass were never intrusive, a quick look at the doubts before the junctions, but everything went smoothly. The Glass and the sensor have a tantrum on the brightness of the screen and twice on the way I had problems with reading the map. Integration that needs to be improved and made more stable. After about four hours of use at full capacity the Google Glass have discharged. Just in time to put in the hard case and go home.

Over the weekend I decided to do a test pool and the only sunny day (with a few passing) appeared just in the last weekend. So I decided to turn the center of Rome with Glass and sun lenses that Google gives you in the box. With the Glass sunglass lenses get a perfect brightness that I was never abandoned during the test. As I took the subway and read the latest news from The New York Times in SCREENS I noticed that the wagon, usually always busy in the daily routine had stopped to realize that I was wearing devilry. As long as a girl, taken by the courage he asked me: “But with these we can see better?”. I explained what they were for. Smiles.

Arrived to Via del Corso, suddenly I get a request to hangout by a friend in London. The hangout video calls are made through Google. I accept the call: accomplice 3G at full speed on the webcam is projected SCREENS me of my friend who says, “Hey, but do not see you, I see a street people, but where are you?”. Obvious that he could not see me, the Glass have a front camera and he saw exactly what I saw. Once explained the reason for the ongoing video call, but this time I have to stop because they focus both on video and on the road walking becomes difficult. Concluded the hangout I decided to record a video to Piazza del Popolo, completely crowded and accompanied by the music of some street artist. “Ok Glass, record video.” The videos are a maximum of 10 seconds, but can become unlimited touching the touchpad while recording side to fill the 12.5 GB of internal memory. The only drawback: when the video starts busting appears for a few moments the color curve.

It ‘late afternoon: between news, photos, videos, maps, answers calls and emails it’s time to rest. I do it to the Spanish Steps on the steps, when suddenly I become subject to Chinese tourists who continue to speak to each other and scattarmi photos. I decided then to make a final tour before returning and I do concern all the photos and videos taken earlier. As in the smartphone gallery flows nicely with that magic touch in addition: divided between the reality and the projection screen.

I confess I have often thought “wow, maybe this is the future.” Yes, perhaps, with many doubts but also many good intentions. The doubts, or the fear of seeing all these people with strange glasses that can photograph you, you can recover without even realizing it or oppose, in a hyper-connected world. Then there are the positive potential: a way to revolutionize the sharing of multimedia experiences, practical help for people with disabilities in the life of every day. The Glass according to many smartphones will not replace, but may become very useful in specific fields. For my part I can only say that at the moment are a very good product and traits “revolutionary”. A product that transport you to the world of augmented reality only asks you to say “ok glass.”

* Blogger and computer security expert

Topics:
google glass
google
Mountain View